Beneficial and harmful food.
After listening to the wisdom words from Lord Atreya, the king of Kashi Vamana further asked
"Oh Lord Atreya, please explain what is the main reason behind diseases"
Lord Aterya answered:
"It is only the beneficial food that increases the age of humans. Harmful food is one of the main reason of all ailments.
Oh lord! How do we determine beneficial and harmful qualities of a food? There are always exceptions. A food may be good or bad according to the time, ailment, condition of the patient disease, and so many other factors.
Lord Atreya answered:
The food that helps keeping a balance inside the body. Food that helps in keeping a balance of Vata Pitta and kapha is beneficial food. On the other hand the food that aggrevates a particular metal in the body then it is harmful food.
This is the best way to identify useful and harmful food without exceptions.
[The idea is to have a balanced diet. If you have low Pitta then you must eat more of foods that aggrevate pitta and vice versa. Any food may be good or bad according to the situation and results anticipated from it.]
Lord, the way that you have explained beneficial and harmful foods not all doctors may be able to understand it. Can you please explain it in a way that they are able to comprehend this thought.
This they (doctors) should be able to understand who knows about qualities, color, karma of the food.
NOw i will explain it in such a way that every doctor is able to understand it. But we will not discuss about the quantity because it has so many variants depending upon age etc.
I will just discuss with everyone the types of Foods, their qualities and how to identify them.
All food are eaten through the mouth. That, one we eat them.
There are two types of food
- Sthawar - vegetables and its products
- Jangam - meat and other animal products
There are two types of effects of foods:
- beneficial and
There are four ways these foods can be consumed:
Food have six tastes:
Food have qualities:
- heavy, lite, cold, hot, oily, dry, slow, fast, sticky, lose, soft, hard, serene, smooth, friction, very small, fat, thick and liquid.
When we mix these together there could be countless number of combination of types.
Now we will define the foods that are most commonly used
The best of foods in different categories...
- Out of the foods which are boiled, rice is the best.
- In the pulses, green pulses is the best. The rain water is best.
- Saindha salt is the best.
- A reindeer's meat in meat.
- In birds lava's meat. Amongst the animals living underground Gohu's meat.
- Rohu fish amongst the fishes.
- Cow's ghee is the ghritas (clarified butter).
- PIg's pork amongst the animals living in marshy areas.
- Ginger is the best root.
- Grapes is the best fruit.
- Sugar, is best amongst sugarcane products.
Now the worst list...
- Jayi is most harmful amongst food we get from crops.
- Urad pulses.
- River water during the rain is most harmful.
- Reha salt.
- Amongst meat, cow's beef.
- In leaves Sarso .
- In birds wild pegion's meat.
- Chilchim fish in fishes.
- Lamb's ghee. LAmb's milk.
- Kusum oil is worst in vegetable oils.
- Badahal in fruits.
- Amongst roots the potato.
- out of sugarcane products Raba.
In conclusion there are infinite combination of the above said qualities and quantity of the food.